Sunday, May 31, 2009

Month 3 Switching Product


So a few days ago I was feeling pretty down and sorry for myself because my hair was looking a hot mess, I poked, prodded, lopped off, combined, decomibined and just messed about in my poor head. I really dont know what I was trying to do but as stated previously I was trying to be something that I just could never be. My locs a lot like my self are very free spirited and have a hard time conforming and although that sounds corny its pure truth. I ams what I ams and leaving my hair do its thang is the best action I could ever take for my hair. Any further and you would see a blog about my big bad baldness and what it means to me (lol).
Anyhow I went and changed some of the products Ive been using as regular staples. Seriously if you want your locs looking half decent stop using the run of the mill crap products they have on the shelves these days. I was using Pantene clarifying shampoo once every few days and although its not that particularly all that bad if used infrequently it was doing some damage to my hair. Everytime I washed my hair felt stripped and always looked dull and after a rinse with apple cider nothing revived it. ACV is good for the hair but not all the time I guess this is why they call it a journey, you vear from the beaten path occasionally. Anyway like all gradual switches that Ive been making in my life ive started using the teatree soap from Dr Bronners. It's wonderful although I find it a bit antiseptic smelling it does the job. Heck I even tried brushing my teeth with the stuff lol it said I could do it right on the bottle (reminded me of listerine with froth lol) Yeah so now my scalp is quite happy and my hair is looking nice and sheeny (ooooooh) I rinse occasionally with ACV and I use Organic Root Stimulator Locing gel to moisterize my scalp and locs and thats it so simple (I like it like that). What Ive learned from all this is that natural products are always far superior for the results you want to achieve.


Aside from the reduction of a weekly chemical bath of product Ive also decided to start a new exercise program. I went out and bought myself EA Sports Active training program for the Wii and its probably the best money Ive ever spent on myself. I'm hoping that by incorporating some exercise into my life and healthy diet I will grow my loverly locs down to my back faster. This month I will be renewed and I'll stop feeling sorry for myself because self pity does not get me to my destination faster. Anyhoo just wanted to update for tonight my bed awaits me ;3



Honestly what was I ever worrying about? my locs are looking quite loverly wouldnt you agree? :)



Cheers everyone










Nat

5 comments:

msfullroller said...

Lord, if I had know you were using Pantene clarifying shampoo, I would have told you to put that stuff down, slowly back away and don't look back. lol

My mother gave me some Pantene shampoo back when I was still a permie and that stuff, though it was not the clarifying one, had my hair feeling like straw. Also since you are not using much product if any for that matter, there is no need for such cleaning power as in a clarifier. At least not on weekly basis when you like/need to wash your scalp often. Earlier this year I was having the same problem with the ashen look on my locs.

Dr Bronner's soap is wonderful, but yeah tea tree is definitely mediciny smelling! Just make sure to dilute or use a tiny, tiny amount.

I'm so glad you hung in there. Sometimes it takes a bit of trial and error to find what works best for us.

PhePhi said...

i think your locs are coming along quite nicely. i luv dr bronners as well. i use the peppermint castille soap. absolutley luv it.

keep your head up sis. you're doing good!!

Titus 2 Thandi said...

Yeah!Glad you're feeling good!

NubianLockedPrincess said...

Girl, I`am so over my hair after 18 months of locdom. I used to wash every week. I have been using natural products since I have been locked, but they tend to strip my hair. I started using Black Earth products and extended my washings to 2 weeks. My locs started doing much better! I have Dr Bronners baby shampoo, which I never used. Next week, I `am going to add some oils and EOs to it to see what I get.

You locs are beautiful! their is nothing like trial and error to discover what works best!

Blessings!

Unknown said...

Amen your locks are looking lovely! The ACV is great. Just don't use it too frequently in the beginning stages of your locks, because it promotes softness (a great thing in loose hair), but not so good for early stage locks, since it may cause unravelling. Keep it up though. I am considering using Dr. Bronner to shampoo my locks. I loved the stuff when I was baby. :D

Locks are Beautiful

Locs are sexy