Monday, April 13, 2009

4 vs 3 and 2 pt rotations



Hey yall
Ive been interlocking my hair now for awhile and my hair is curly enough to have naps but not nappy enough to stay put go figure. Anyway Ive been using 2 pt rotations since I started locking my hair but Ive been noticing that my hair has a bunch of holes in them and as soon as the hair starts growing my locks have become very loose so I guess it doesnt pay to use shortcuts. This def is not good in my books so I did a little experiment. Some locks that started with 2 pts I left alone, and some other locks I did 3 pts because they couldnt go further and lastly others that have grown a mile Ive used 4pts. I found that the 4 pts are denser and look more uniform. I suppose in the beginning I was being lazy but now I know that to acheive the ideal cylinder shape you must use 4 pt rotations. You wont get the lumpy bumpy locks and not to mention those blasted Ys every where (*hate em!) yeah well thats my little tid bit of wisdom. Ive made a chart hope it can help anyone who would like to use this method : ) .... See yall later going togo change all my 2pt to 4pt.

Update (May 11/09)
Here is what you can get if you use a certain pt rotations technically no point rotation used is bad for your hair, but for my hair I found that it was looser using the 2pt rotation. What I failed to remember was that everyone has different textures of hair so use the rotation system as to your requirements. 2pt rotations can work for you if you would like a quick way to lock up and have denser hair, this might provide a way for your hair to mesh within the holes but for my hair this rotation left spaces which I did not like so I switched over to a 3 pt and 4 pt rotation. Here are the differences as follows

~2pt rotations leave a looser more softer lock I personally did not like this rotation because it left spaces in my locks. For some it might work for them because hair does eventually mesh together . For me I just didnt like the feel of it so I switched

~3 pt Ive settled between the two. This rotation allows for the cylinder shape I want however after reading Kalia Dewdrops blog I had to agree with her that this one was probably the best (for me anyway)between the two. My locs became not to tight but not to loose either. I have kinky wavy hair and it unravels constantly. If you like the look of really thin locks then go up to the next rotation.

~4pt Probably the best if you want to maintain thinner looking locks. It's basically whatever your preference is. All provide a cylinder shaped lock except they differ in width and tightness

(click to enlarge)




Tightening up those babies

Another thing I also managed to do was tighten up the loose hairs all up and down my locks. I just use the same method that I used to interlock my roots, only I look for loose holes along the lock and work my way up or down. The only thing you have to watch out for is pulling the lock through the same whole twice. You'll always have to go back and pull those out which isnt much of a problem but if you leave them you will have great big holes in your locs (not cool as the lock will become weak) This allows the hair to dense up even quicker and you'll arrive at your destination much sooner (Ah victory lol) Anyway happy locking yall. :)


(click to enlarge)


3 comments:

Kumina said...

I did a mostly 2 pt when I used the latch hook and I had holes all up in my locs. I redid a lot of them after Nubianlockedprincess youtube video showed how to do a loc from end to root, because before that I only know how to go from root to end by braiding or twisting. Since I've been using a yarn needle, and using 4 pt I'm very pleased with the density and roundness of the majority of my locs. I like your charts, they're easy to understand. Let me know how your change out from 2's to 4's goes!

Titus 2 Thandi said...

Thank you!i've been doing 2pt rotations with my daughter, now i'll go back to 4.

msfullroller said...

Hmm, you've got me thinking now. I'll definitely be on the look out for that. When I did the 2 point I really tried to be sure that I was moving the entry point around since I had so much new growth.

Locks are Beautiful

Locs are sexy