Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Starting all over again

The Natural Transition to Locs

All me all natural (Sept 2008)


So like I said in my intro this will be my third start and the very first few times I have to say were trial and error. I think that now I have an idea where I should be heading. After reading many blogs and loc sites I understand my hair a little better and I have a handle on what not to do with my locs. Here are some shots of my natural hair while I was pregnant then my first attempts at locing.


1st attempt (Oct 2008)


At first I tried locing my hair by just picking and grabbing hair from anywhere but honestly that was not a good idea. Because I could not see what I was doing many of the parts were to big and were pulling from weired angles. At the same time to tighten them up I was interlocking using a tool I made from a pin and some tape (looks like the tool you see selling online for interlocking but I'm cheap what can I say I refuse to pay 20 bucks for something I can make myself)


Long story short I was interlocking dry hair (bad idea) had " Hand in the head Syndrome" and I was using dread wax. Actually the type of wax I was using isnt so bad it's knotty boy wax and if used in minute amounts can be washed out with clarifying shampoo and hot water.


2nd attempt (Dec 2008)



The second time they looked a lot nicer and the parts were more uniformed but again I was not happy with the size and part locations (I think I'm too picky). After a few months of interlocking and waxing and the trip to Jamica meant they had to come down.




3rd and final attempt (hopefully) (Mar 2009)








Now I have my locs where I want them and even so Ive decided to just let them be. Ive learned thats it's a process and that I have to accept my hair for what it is. I'm hoping that in the end they will dense up real good look nice and I'll be at a good place in my life.









2 comments:

Kumina said...

All 3 of your starts have been beautiful, this last one I'm glad you're satisfied with. It just don't feel right until you get them the way you want it. Now try hard as you can to let them be. This is coming from someone that has tried for over 8 years to get to this point. I finally made it to a year this January. You can do it. All the support you need is just a post away.

Titus 2 Thandi said...

LOL.You're so funny. But hey, it's your hair so go for it-again :) Maybe now that we're watching you you'll let them mature.Keep blogging and enjoy th ejourney. And don't feel guilty about the decisions you make, after all, you have to live with it.Better have it just the way you want than to regret it 3 years later!

Locks are Beautiful

Locs are sexy